Students will go through lectures, classroom desk-top exercises, simulator training and hands-on walk around identification and inspection of equipment before they learn how to operate heavy equipment used in surface mining. Below is a list of activities students will complete:
- Perform load/haul operations
- Loading and unloading operations with diesel-powered equipment
- Learn inspection techniques and requirements
- Introduction to services and minor repair requirements on heavy equipment
- Understand, complete, and submit records and reports
After completion of the camp, students will be able to identify mobile equipment and track-type equipment and uses typically found in a surface mine. Through the course, the students will discuss preventative maintenance and service work and troubleshooting, and the repair of a wide variety of maintenance equipment and vehicles, hydraulic hoses, and electrical control systems.