The Academic Decathlon & Personal Finance Fair is a fun-filled, 4-day event for 7th-12th graders, providing individual academic competitions in math, science, speech, essay, social studies, and keyboarding. Team events will find participants playing basketball, volleyball, engineering, and poster design. Students also have the opportunity to explore various “healthy living” subjects such as social media and internet safety, stress and coping, budgeting and financial literacy, barrier crimes, and senior transition workshop. The Personal Finance portion of the decathlon includes hands-on, exciting activities introducing students to the world of personal finance. Students will have the opportunity for students to think about and begin planning for some of the basic aspects of personal finance – earning money, saving and spending money wisely, using credit cautiously, and protecting their finances.
- Prompt is given in advance. One 3 x 5 note card prepared in advance may be used during the competition
- 7th & 8th grade — General Math, Pre Algebra, (Some Algebra I)
- High School — Pre Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
- 7th & 8th grade — Earth Science, Life Science, Physical Science & Health
- High School — Earth Science, Life Science, Physical Science & Health
- Geography (online, click below)
- Social Studies
- 7th & 8th grade — World History, American History, Alaska Studies, Government
- High School — World History, American History, Alaska Studies, Government
- May be prepared in advance and may use note cards during the competition
- Healthy Lifestyles Super Quiz
- Engineering & Design
- Poster design
Financial Reality Fair on Wednesday and Thursday, May 1st – 2nd
- Using the hands-on approach to financial reality with Financial Reality Foundation, students have the opportunity to find out what it would cost to live within the constraints of real-life occurrences.
Junior Achievement on Wednesday and Thursday, May 1st – 2nd
- Using the hands-on curriculum from Junior Achievement, students will be exploring some of the basic aspects of personal finance – earning money, saving and spending money wisely, using credit cautiously, and protecting their finances.